BANANA BREAD IS NO MORE. It’s time to give this majestic baked good the title it deserves. Banana cake is here to stay. And let me tell you, my vegan Chocolate Banana cake is not just staying for a few weeks, oh no, she’s moving in to the mutherfricking master bedroom.
This cake is unbelievably soft, chocolatey and just a smidge banana-y. I reckon you'll still enjoy it, even if you don't like bananas. It's the perfect recipe to have in your back pocket for when friends are coming round and the only snacks you have are some stale crisps and a couple of Garibaldi (no hate to the garibaldi, I genuinely really rate them).
The best part about this particular nana cake is that your bananas don't even have to be super ripe, you can just chuck them (in their skins) into the oven for a bit and get them just as caramalised and squishy. Also, most importantly, this recipe doesn't contain any vegan egg substitutes, which can be a smidge expensive or hard to find...just things that you probably already have lying around your kitchen 🍌🥛
So here's what you'll need to make it:
150ml plant milk (I use oat, but you could use almond or soy)
2 medium bananas (175g without skins), mashed
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
200g light brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
300g self raising flour
125g vegan milk or dark chocolate (your choice), roughly chopped
1. Mash your bananas, or, if they're not ripe stick both nanas in the oven (in their skin) at 180 degrees for 15-20 mins. They'll get nice n jammy.
2. Measure out your milk in a jug or something then add your apple cider vinegar. Leave to one side for a lil bit.
3. Mash the bananas then add your brown sugar, melted butter, vanilla extract and plant milk with the apple cider vinegar in it.
4. Sift in the self raising flour then add a pinch of salt and chuck in your choc chunks. Fold in the chunky bois then pour everything into a lined, (vegan) buttered loaf tin. Bake at 180 for around 40 mins, or until a knife or something sharp (like my wit), comes out clean.
5. Jobs a good 'un. Try not to eat this all in one sitting. If you do though, you're a legend and I commend you ✨